What is GOTS?
According to their website, The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres, including ecological and social criteria, backed up by independent certification of the entire textile supply chain. A textile product must be made of 95% organic materials to carry the GOTS organic label. Key environmental criteria for suppliers to be certified include:
- A textile product carrying the GOTS label grade ‘organic’ must contain a minimum of 95% certified organic fibres whereas a product with the label grade ‘made with organic’ must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibres
- Discharge printing methods using aromatic solvents and plastisol printing methods using phthalates and PVC are prohibited
- All operators must have an environmental policy including target goals and procedures to minimise waste and discharges
- Raw materials, intermediates, final textile products as well as accessories must meet stringent limits regarding unwanted residues
Furthermore, “Minimum social criteria based on the key norms of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) must be met by all processors and manufacturers.” Some of the key social criteria include:
- Employment is freely chosen
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour must not be used
- Living wages
For more information on GOTS, visit their website.